Wednesday, March 30

No Excuses: The Pioneer Woman Cooks Review


It has been pointed out to me between my 11 AM sangria and my noon cocktail that perhaps I have been in remiss, Gentle Reader. I posted a review on that lovely website VBPL Recommends, but have no accompanying review for the same book on this site. I am thoroughly ashamed. There is no excuse. I would never do anything to harm you Dear Reader (...that you would notice) or stunt your growth as culinary geniuses! Perhaps I should blame the sangria. But we do not dwell. Instead, let us proceed onward, Gentle Reader!

Ree Drummond, also known as The Pioneer Woman, was once a city lady, and since became a country missus when she wed her now-husband and moved to the seedy hotbed of Oklahoma ranch life. She started her website to keep in touch with family and one day posted with pictures a how-to on steak cooking. From there, it flourished into what it is today: a blogging empire. Ree has written a cookbook, a biographical romance and an upcoming children’s book. However, due to my busy schedule I can only discuss her cookbook, The Pioneer Woman Cooks: Recipes from an Accidental Country Girl at the moment. 

But oh, what a cookbook! Gentle Reader, have you thought to add cream cheese to your mashed potatoes? How about buttermilk to your fried chicken? Ree adds decadence to her daily diet (please do not make me repeat that). More butter, more meat, more cheese for her family of cowboys (and cowgirls!). Since using this book, I have pitched my scale and bought larger plates. Do not be scared, Gentle Reader. Though there are sometimes many steps to the recipe, they are not hard steps. Ree has the welcomed habit of documenting each step with her gorgeous amateur photos.

The only true caveat I can offer is to check the serving sizes before starting any of Ree's recipes. I rarely find a need for 16 twice-baked potatoes or 50 cinnamon rolls. However, I prefer to rule nothing out. Also, I would not recommend her pizza crust without some changes: roll it out thin (for a less doughy texture), add more flavor (salt, spices, whatever flies your kite), and possibly preheat it.

To celebrate a friend's birthday several months late, I made Ree's mocha brownies. However as you know, Gentle Reader, I lack preparation. Therefore, I substituted orange extract for the vanilla that is so lacking in my household.

Also, because my icing wasn't setting up right, I addded a spoonful of flour, or two. Or 8. It was some derivative of 10, I'm sure. 














I hope she finds them semi-palatable!











(makes 16 or so)

4 oz unsweetened chocolate
2 sticks butter
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
3 tsp vanilla
1 ¼ cup flour

* Preheat oven to 325. Spray a brownie pan with nonstick cooking spray.
* Place chocolate in microwave safe container and heat for 30 second intervals until melted.
* Cream the butter and sugar. Add eggs
* Drizzle in chocolate and add vanilla. Mix
* Add flour and mix until just combined.
* Pour batter into pan and bake 45 minutes.
* Let cool to ice.

2 sticks butter
5 cups powdered sugar
¼ cup cocoa
¼ tsp salt
3 tsp vanilla
½ to ¾ cup coffee

* Combine butter, powdered sugar, cocoa powder, salt, and vanilla. Mix until just combined.
* Add ½ cup coffee. Whip until desired consistency. If necessary, add more coffee.
* Ice

1 comment:

  1. I wondered what that unusual flavor was in the brownies. Hmm, orange extract. Interesting. Great post!

    ReplyDelete