Tuesday, March 1

"There’s More to Life than Chocolate, But Not Right Now." The Results are in.

 
**Disclaimer**  We at Lit Chicks Dish do not receive compensation in any way for product endorsements. If we say we like something it is because we really like it.


At last, the results of the unofficial Lit Chicks Dish’s white chocolate baking chip taste test:

First a little background. In my February 5, 2011 posting I had a review of the recipe for “Hannah’s Best” cookies. I didn’t feel the cookies turned out quite as well as they could have. I pondered that it might have something to do with the ingredients. As I was baking the cookies I sampled the white chocolate chips. I wasn’t that impressed with them and decided to see if I could find better.

*Fact* In the United States what can legally be called white chocolate is regulated by the cocoa butter content.

In my search for a better white chocolate baking chip I discovered some interesting things.  While some bags might say “vanilla baking chips” others simply state “white baking chips”. It was the ones that actually contained cocoa butter that I was interested in.

I purchased Trader Joe’s brand, Kroger’s Private Select (premium) brand, and Ghirardelli. Technically the Ghirardelli brand should not be in there as they don’t contain cocoa butter. I was fooled by the package because it said chocolate, but that was only referring to the brand name. You will notice that Hershey and Nestle are not sampled. That is because they don’t contain cocoa butter. That’s right, I read the ingredients on many baking chip packages.

So the three chips I have included in this test in the order of preference were: 
Trader Joe’s (chosen by 6 out of 9 testers)
Kroger Private Select
Ghirardelli

Including myself, there were nine willing subjects to taste and give their opinions. I would like to thank the Tuesday night crew where I work and my daughter-in-law for being such good sports with my odd requests. Check back for my revised review of the cookie recipe that started this taste test.

1 comment:

  1. Time for me to make a trip to Trader Joes! Thanks for the detective work Kathryn.

    ReplyDelete