Thursday, September 15

Cash in One's Chips with Panache/Ganache

This is another recipe from the previously reviewed book Sprinkle With Murder. This recipe says it makes 12 cupcakes.  I was making this for a coworker's birthday and knew 12 would not be enough so I doubled the recipe.  I ended up getting 36 cupcakes from that.  

I only made a single recipe of the chocolate ganache.  That was a very good thing since it was more than enough.  You could even halve the ganache recipe and probably still have some leftover.

There are no in process photos but here are some of the finished product. These cupcakes are very rich and decadent. I baked them in the Reynolds Staybrite baking cups in a muffin tin.  I found I had to adjust the baking time by adding a couple of minutes.  The Staybrite are foil lined and heavier than normal liners. The packages says you don't even need a muffin tin, they can be placed directly on a baking sheet.  

I found the recipe to be accurate and easy to follow.  There is some planning ahead involved since you need the butter and eggs to be room temperature.  The ganache needs to cool to room temperature also but you can let that sit while the cupcakes cool.  

Now I just need to find something to do with the leftover ganache, that is other than just eating it with a spoon.  Yum.  Recipe's after the jump. 


 
 






1 1/2 c flour
2 t baking powder
1/4 t baking soda
3/4 c unsweetened cocoa powder
1/8 t salt
3 T butter, softened
1 1/2 c sugar
2 eggs, at room temp
1/4 t vanilla extract
1 c milk
1 bag semisweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350.  Makes 12.  Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cocoa, and salt.  Set aside.  In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until well blended.  Add the eggs one at a time, beating well with each addition, then stir in the vanilla.  Add the flour mixture alternately with the milk; beat well.  Add the chocolate chips.  Bake for 15 - 17 minutes.






 
2 c dark chocolate chips

2 c heavy cream

2 t vanilla

Place chocolate chips in a large bowl.  Pour the cream into a saucepan, and bring it to a boil.  Once the cream boils, remove it from the heat and pour it over the chips.  Let stand for a minute or two, then stir with a whisk until smooth.  Be sure to scrape the bottom of the bowl occasionally.  Stir in the vanilla until well blended.  Place a piece of plastic wrap directly on the surface of the ganache and allow to cool to room temperature.  Dip tops of cooled cupcakes into the mixture and allow to dry.

 
My Review:
Taste:  8 out of 5 - 
I really like chocolate.

Ease of preparation: 4 out of 5 - 
Only because I had to plan and leave out the butter and eggs.

Would I make this again?  Oh yes!  But probably only a single recipe of 12 so I don't make myself sick on them.

No comments:

Post a Comment