Wednesday, February 16

You Say ˈBü(l)-yän... and I Say ˈBu̇l-yən

Since I am all about keeping things as simple in the kitchen as I can, I am always on the look out for products at my local grocery store to help. My latest find is a product called Better Than Bouillon. Of the two flavors I have tried, beef and chicken, I have to agree with the name. It is manufactured by the Superior Touch company based in Canada. 

On their product page they refer to it as a concentrated paste food base. The first two ingredients listed are meat and meat juices. Any other brands I checked only listed meat fat as third or even further down. Go check your bouillon ingredients, you may be surprised, I was. 

I have found Better Than Bouillon at my local stores in beef, chicken, vegetable, ham, and mushroom flavors. There are many more flavors the company makes. They are also available in organic, vegetarian, reduced sodium, kosher, and mejor que caldo (Mexican). In mejor que caldo there is a pollo y tomate (chicken and tomato) flavor that I will definitely look for. This bouillon is not the dry granuals that you might ordinarily expect. Instead it is a thick gooey paste.  You can keep the unopened jar in the cabinet but it needs to be refrigerated after opening. One teaspoon equals one bouillon cube or 8 ounces of liquid. Pretty standard stuff there. 

Also offered by this company is Better Than Gravy, a gravy mix in a packet and, Crockery Gourmet, a seasoning packet for your slow cooker. I love my slow cooker, but that is a recipe for another day. If you try this product we’d love to hear how you think it compares to your regular bouillon.

1 comment:

  1. I have this and used the chicken one in my slow cooker mac and cheese recipe. It was awesome!

    ReplyDelete